Brakes before winter
In order to feel safe while riding in any weather, it is necessary to check the brake system from and to in a timely manner.
In winter, environmental conditions, such as high humidity, road salt and reagents, increase the negative impact on the brake system. If not monitored, this can lead to excessive wear and damage to its components. Therefore, in winter conditions, special attention must be paid to checking the brake system. For control, the following points can be noted:
1) Check the boiling point of the brake fluid on your technical specification of cars. If it is below 180 ° C, it should be replaced. When choosing a new brake fluid, it is necessary to focus on the specifications of the automaker. Or use a special Bosch ENV6 brake fluid, which is compatible with all polyglycol-based fluids.
2) On the disk mechanisms, check the wear of the friction linings of the brake pads, the mobility of the calipers and pistons. If the individual components have a difficult course, dismantle and clean them, restore mobility. According to the degree of wear and general condition, decide whether new parts are needed.
3) For a car with drum brakes on the rear axle, the friction linings and the condition of the drum system should be checked at least once every 40 thousand kilometers.
4) Check brake hoses for cracking and leaks. Pay attention to the condition of the brake pipes and hose clips. If necessary, damaged elements must be replaced.
5) Check the ease of movement and the functionality of the parking brake. If necessary, check the mobility of the mechanisms and the condition of the cables, adjust their tension. The cables should not have severe bending, corrosion or through damage to the casing. If such problems are found, the cables must be replaced.