7 Terrific Teacher Appreciation Potluck Ideas
Teacher Appreciation Week Potlucks & Luncheons
You can’t beat going the tried and true route of potluck meals to show appreciation for your beloved teachers. Organizing a potluck or luncheon has never been easier than with SignUp’s free online potluck SignUps – automating everything for Teacher Appreciation Week, from assigning tasks on the big day to reminding participants of what they’ve agreed to bring. SignUp’s one-stop destination for organizing and planning leaves you plenty of time to get creative! Check out these terrific Teacher Appreciation ideas for potlucks and luncheons.
1. Help teachers re-charge with a Spa-themed potluck! Nothing says appreciation more than a demonstrated knowledge of the stress teachers are under. For lunch, organize a salad bar or various deli trays (having people sign up at SignUp.com eliminates duplication), and provide pitchers of fruit or veggie-infused water. Coordinate goodie bags with small, inexpensive items that will make your teachers feel pampered –sleep masks, bath salts, lavender scented candles. If space and budget allow, bring in a massage therapist to provide ten-minute chair massages.
2. Give your teachers a mini-vacation! Stage a tropical getaway without leaving your school. Fill mason jars or beach pails with sand, shells and a candle. Hit the dollar store for beach towels to use as table coverings or use ribbon to wrap them with sunscreen and flip-flops for teacher gifts. Have participants sign up to bring tropical-themed dishes, and don’t forget the tiny paper umbrellas for the drink cups for the perfect getaway potluck!
3. Jump on the Charcuterie Craze: Plan an afternoon nosh break an fill the teacher's lounge with festive charcuterie boards prepared by parents or a local deli. For classic trays, gather treats like various cheeses, cured meats, nuts, crackers, jams, fruit and spreads. Consider themed trays too, such as dessert trays and fruit boards. Remember to include small plates and to-go-boxes, serving utensils, napkins and flavored sparkling sodas in your SignUp to make the afternoon treat complete.
4. Celebrate Souper Star Teachers: One popular idea for an easy Teacher Appreciation luncheon is a soup bar, offering up to 10 different soups in slow cookers provided by parents. Use SignUp to organize the perfect potluck including the loan of the slow cookers, the soups, the side dishes (bread, salad, etc.) and the desserts. Set up the buffet and allow teachers to help themselves!
5. Take your teachers to the movies! Serve pizza and soft drinks, or tie your food theme to a movie you have playing in the background, i.e. my Big Fat Greek Wedding. Use popcorn boxes as gift boxes and fill them with typical movie snacks, movie passes, and microwave popcorn. Have a photo booth on hand with plenty of dress-up items like feather boas, top hats and costume jewelry to create memorable keepsakes.
6. Go big with gratitude! Create big posters and have the students sign them with short reflections on what their teachers mean to them. Hang the posters in the hallways or in the office after the event for a lovely reminder to the teachers of the difference they are making in their students’ lives. Wrap small bouquets of flowers with a gift tag that says, “Thanks a bunch!” or give out small potted plants with tags that say, “Thanks for helping me grow.” Reach out to local businesses for gift certificates and gift cards.
7. Go for the glamour! There isn’t a lot of glamour to being a teacher on a day-to-day basis, so how about organizing a simple and elegant meal that virtually transports teachers to a fancy restaurant? Use free, online SignUps to organize a fancy potluck with everything from multiple courses to real cutlery and glasses. Have volunteers dress all in black to serve the courses, and play soft classical music in the background.
Room parents and organizers can create their potluck SignUps in minutes with SignUp.com and invite parents to sign up via email or social media. Parents can access the potluck SignUps 24/7 from their computer or mobile device, no password needed. eCalendar syncing and automated reminders keep everyone on track too!
With just a little bit of effort and organization, your teachers will feel appreciated and recognized!