Fall Potluck Planning Ideas
Potluck Tips and Reminders for Autumn
Fall is in full swing and your life is busier than ever. If you miss getting together with your friends and family, take heart! Fall is filled with reasons to get together: football games, Halloween and Oktoberfest, just to name a few. The fact that cookout season is in the rearview mirror doesn’t mean you have to cook a fancy meal for your guests. Instead, break out the easiest dinner party ever: the Fall Potluck Dinner. Here are five tips for hosting a fabulous meal with friends and family.
1. Décor is a snap. Fall leaves and small pumpkins make beautiful centerpieces, mums are perfect floral accents. Go bold and use fresh produce in rich harvest colors, like eggplant and apples. Candles are a must – if your event is outside, use deep votives or hurricanes so they don’t blow out.
2. Organizing is a breeze. With free, online potluck SignUp sheets from SignUp.com, everything you need at your fingertips. Keep track of who’s coming and what they’re bringing using the intuitive potluck planning wizard and easy-to-use scheduling tools. You can even share it via social media and email, thus eliminating endless phone tag. SignUp.com provides automated reminders and real-time e-calendar syncing, and your friends and family can sign up 24/7 from their computers or smart phones – no passwords needed. There are even ways to keep track of your guests’ food preferences and sensitivities. Get started today >
3. Elegance is still an option. If you are worried that a potluck means you’ll be eating off of paper plates and serving from plastic containers, remember that you are in control of presentation. Really, you are only outsourcing the actual cooking. You can still take your nicest serving platters out and use the good silver.
4. Comfort is cool. Why not take a traditional comfort food and serve it with a twist? Throw a soup party and have your guests sign up to bring their favorite soups in their crock-pots. Or have a mac-and-cheese tasting. Ask people to bring their favorite variations, and then provide the side dishes like warm crusty bread and a large leafy salad.
5. Relaxation is key. The whole idea of a Potluck meal is to take the stress off of everyone, especially the person coordinating. Use SignUp to organize who is bringing what, remind your guests, and keep track of the menu – so that you can relax. Relaxation is contagious. So, if you’re feeling flexible and fun, so will your guests. And the best news is that since people are contributing their time and effort to the cooking, they are already invested in the success of your event!